IN THIS ARTICLE
Gradient can be added to and used as an external tool within Schoology. In order for the integration to work for staff, a Schoology Lead from the school or district must work with a Gradient System Admin to get the necessary information (secret, key, etc.) input into Schoology.
- For information on setting up an LTI integration within Schoology see Schoology Support – About External or LTI Tools
Enable Gradient > Schoology Integration
NOTE: For users with Schoology enabled prior to March 2023, you'll continue to see the LTI Integration 1.1 enabled. When the new Academic Year is started, LTI 1.1 will be deactivated and LTI 1.3 will be available to set up for staff.
- Log in to Gradient. Select the Account Menu (top right corner).
- Choose Admin Mode.
- From Admin Mode, select the Account Menu (top right corner).
- Choose Settings
From the Integrations section, use the toggle to enable the Canvas/Schoology Integration and select Schoology from the dropdown menu.
Schoology LTI Integration Setup
To find the Client ID and Deployment ID in Schoology to complete the integration with Gradient, follow the steps below or provide your Schoology Lead the 5 links shown in the Gradient Admin Mode - Account Settings for Integrations above.
|STEP 1: Navigate to https://app.schoology.com/apps/publisher and click Add App to open the App Publisher Page.
|STEP 2: Enter the basic App data. Note that fields with * are required:
STEP 3: Type of App: LTI 1.3 app
STEP 4: Add the relevant URLs from Gradient > Admin Mode > Settings > Integrations
STEP 5: After adding the app you will be redirected to your App's Profile page.
STEP 6: After that, within Schoology to https://app.schoology.com/apps/publisher and locate Gradient.
STEP 7: Click I Agree to the terms to continue with the installation.
STEP 8: You will be directed to Organization Apps to continue the installation:
STEP 9: Next, within Schoology, go to https://app.schoology.com/apps/school_apps and locate Gradient.
Navigate to Gradient > Admin Mode > Settings > Integrations. Paste the ID into the Deployment ID text field.
Best Practices for Setup
Staff Login (Schoology > Gradient Integration REQUIREMENT):
In order for staff to benefit from using the Schoology > Gradient integration, their login credentials from both platforms must match. This is easily managed when both Gradient and Schology are being fed from the same synced rostering source (Clever / ClassLink). Please verify:
- The Email address in the LTI integration MUST MATCH the email associated to staff in Gradient.
- If the teacher has not yet logged in to their Gradient for Schools subscription, they will be prompted to “accept invite workflow”. Once accepted, they will be able to access Gradient from within Schoology.
- If the emails do not match - the staff member will receive an error message - “lti_errormsg”
In order for students to benefit from using the Schoology > Gradient integration, their login credentials from both platforms must match. This is easily managed when both Gradient and Schoology are being fed from the same synced rostering source (Clever / ClassLink). Please verify that the following match:
- Student ID
- Student first name, last name, class
- If none of the information above matches, the student will reach the student portal login screen in Schoology and be prompted to enter their name and student access code (as if they were logging in directly via Gradient Student Portal). Completing this action will link the accounts going forward.
Teacher Integration with Schoology
Prior to using the Schoology integration for a high-stakes exam, mid-term, common assessment, or final we highly recommend training students how to log in and access a Gradient assignment that's just for fun. Review or pass along the resources below:
NOTE: Staff should be monitoring student online access and verify that students log in to access their assignment via Schoology instead of directly from Gradient's Student Portal (https://app.gradecam.com/studentLogin).
- If students log in via Gradient's Student Portal to access their assignment, the Schoology > Gradient integration for the assignment will not pass the score into Schoology and teachers will have to use the Grade Transfer feature or manually edit their Schoology gradebook to add the assignment score.
COMING SOON! With the LTI 1.3 upgrade for the new academic year, staff will be able to link paper-scanned assignment scores to Schoology. Check out the Product Release Notes for more information.