IN THIS ARTICLE
Access Groups provide staff additional permissions beyond teacher mode. Most Gradient users will already have all the access and permissions they need based on school/district-managed rostering and default teacher mode (to create, deliver, score, and analyze assignments). However, staff that aren’t rostered or need expanded access to Gradient may be given additional permissions or be added to a bundle of permissions for their role via an Access Group. Read on to learn more.
Access Groups (default)
There are 3 default Access Groups:
System Administrator members are:
- The Gradient Leader(s) identified from the Sales / Renewal process, the main contact for major support issues, will receive information about product updates & training resources
- Associated to ALL SCHOOLS whether or not the Gradient subscription is for one or many schools
- Able to see all schools, staff, classes, and student data across all schools
- Able to manage staff access and settings across the subscription and can delegate management of Gradient to others
- Has ALL permissions in Gradient, including the new Student Visibility Permission.
School Support members are:
- Typically the Roster Leads associated with one or more schools (should be given to the staff who manage Clever, ClassLink, or the SIS)
- Associated to individual school(s)
- Able to see associated schools, staff, and student data
- Have most permissions with the ability to manage rosters, term settings, and user access
Instructional Leader members are:
- School Administrators, School Leaders, or Coaches who typically lead PLC, common assessment, or data analysis activities
- Able to see associated school, staff, and student data
- Have some permissions with the ability to manage assignment-sharing groups, data analysis visibility, and troubleshooting. No permissions for roster management are given to this access group.
Custom Access Groups
Customized Access Groups allow you to enable specific permissions for staff according to their defined roles and tasks when needed. See example Custom Access Groups in our support article, Example Use-Cases for Custom Access Groups.
Find Access Groups
To manage access groups and permissions for other staff, visit your account menu and choose Admin Mode. If you are a Gradient System Administrator you will see Access Groups in your toolbar or More menu. To learn more visit:
- Manage Access Groups
- Delegate Access Group Management (coming soon)
Access Group FAQs
Q: What permissions belong under each default access group?
A: Review Gradient Permissions here.
Q: I can't add a staff member to an access group, what am I missing?
Q: I want to give my staff the option of managing their own rosters. What permissions do I use?
A: In July 2022, an option was created to allow Gradient Leaders who manage rosters manually or with a file import to do an initial upload of classes and students and then create an Access Group to give teachers the option to manage student movement throughout the year. Read more here.
Q: I was a GradeCam Admin prior to July 2022, do I have to do anything differently now that Access Groups have been released?
A: The choice to manage access groups is yours. The default roles of Role Admin, Roster Admin, School Reporting, and HelpDesk (available prior to July 2022) were automatically transitioned over for all subscriptions and users. A System Admin would only need to manage staff members for those former roles if they were not meeting leadership needs or if staff roles have changed.