What Is LockDown Browser?
The Respondus LockDown Browser is a Student Portal feature enabled by teachers with access to a School/District Gradient subscription. It is an online access ‘restriction’ setting that allows teachers to lock down the testing environment for assignments within the Gradient Student Portal (including Canvas and Schoology integrations). Using the LockDown Browser prevents students from accessing other applications, copying and pasting to or from the Student Portal, and navigating to another website. When a student begins an assignment in the LockDown Browser, they are locked into their browser tab until the assignment has been turned in (see Respondus Student Video for more information).
Important: The Respondus LockDown browser ‘restriction’ setting will only work when student devices have had the Respondus Lockdown browser installed. In preparation for enabling this FREE feature, you will likely need to connect with your school/district technology department to complete the steps explained in the article Respondus Lockdown Browser – Setup.
Student Device Requirements
- Computers running Windows XP or later
- Mac OS X 10.4 or later
- Chrome OS (Chromebooks)
NOTE: iPads or other mobile devices are not supported for installation or use of the LockDown browser.
LockDown Browser Installation
Ensure that the Respondus LockDown Browser has been installed on each student device as described here.
Enabling the LockDown Browser
1. From the home page, select the Assignments icon from the left sidebar menu or choose the View Assignments tile and choose an assignment.
2. Select the Student Portal icon from the toolbar.
3. From the Add Online Access window
- Add a class(es) or student(s)
- From the Turn in Assignment section, add the date and time for student access
- Select SHOW SETTINGS
- Under Restrictions, select the checkbox to Enable LockDown Browser
NOTE: Selecting this option will automatically check the Prevent... copy/paste restriction.
Student View of the LockDown Browser
The LockDown Browser works similar to a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently (see Respondus Resources for more information).
LockDown Browser - Student View
- Modified Toolbar: A condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh and Stop functions.
- Full Screen: Assignments are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized or exited until submitted for grading.
- Disabled Controls: All printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys and right-click menus have been disabled.
- Blocked Features & Applications: Start buttons, system tray, and menu bars are removed; hundreds of screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, and network monitoring applications are also blocked.
If the Respondus Lockdown browser has not been installed on student computers, the students will receive the message "If your assignment does not open, please contact your teacher."
Please contact your school/district technology department to install the Respondus Lockdown browser following the steps explained in the article Respondus Lockdown Browser – Setup.
When a student completes their assignment and selects TURN IN, the LockDown Browser will be closed automatically. Students will be returned to the GradeCam student login screen in their original browser window.
NOTE: Students on Chromebooks will need to restart their device to exit the Respondus application. Students using the Canvas or Schoology integration will be directed to refresh their page to continue (See Respondus Student Video.)