Gradient can be added to and used as an external tool from within the Canvas LMS. But it first must be added to Canvas. To set up the integration, you will need to have system admin access to both Canvas and Gradient.
For more information on setting up an LTI integration within Canvas see Canvas Admin Support – How do I configure an external app for an account using XML?
Enable the integration in Gradient
Access Admin Mode with Gradient, then go to the Account Settings Menu.
In the Integrations section, turn on the LTI integrations for Canvas/Schoology. Copy the Key from within Gradient and place in the corresponding section within Canvas. Repeat these steps for the Secret and XML Code Snippet.
Placement options in Canvas for Gradient
- Assignment Selection - default is “on”. This is what allows users to select GradeCam when creating an assignment.
- Course Navigation - default is “on”. This allows the single sign-on link for GradeCam to show in the left navigation area in Canvas.
- User Navigation - default is “on”. This shows another single sign-on link in the “Account” side navigation option.
Best Practices for Setting Up LTI Integration
Teacher access matches on:
- Email email address in LTI integration MUST MATCH email in Gradient.
- If the teacher has not yet been linked to a school/district subscription, they will proceed to the “accept invite workflow”. Once accepted, they will be able to access GC from within LMS.
- If the emails do not match - user will receive an error message - “lti_errormsg”
Student access matches on:
- Student ID
- Student first name, last name, class
- If neither of those match, the student will reach the student portal login screen in Canvas and be prompted to enter their name and student access code (as if they were logging in directly via Gradient Student Portal). Completing this action will link the accounts going forward.
Important NotesA student could still take a test logging directly into our student portal if they did not follow the above steps. If that happens, the scores will not sync back to Canvas because the link between the two has not been established. Tests scanned on paper will not automatically sync to Canvas/Schoology.